Each post with one month of his diary to make it Itouch friendly...

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

DECEMBER 1660

DECEMBER 4, 1660. This day the Parliament voted that the bodies
of Oliver, Ireton, Bradshaw, &c., should be taken up out of their
graves in the Abbey, and drawn to the gallows, and there hanged
and buried under it: which (methinks) do trouble me that a man
of so great courage as he was, should have that dishonour, though
otherwise he might deserve it enough.

9th. I went to the Duke. And first calling upon Mr. Coventry at
his chamber, I went to the Duke's bed-side, who had sat up late
last night, and lay long this morning. This being done, I went
to chapel, and sat in Mr. Blagrave's pew, and there did sing my
part along with another before the King, and with much ease.

10th. It is expected that the Duke will marry the Lord
Chancellor's daughter at last; which is likely to be the ruine of
Mr. Davis and my Lord Barkley, who have carried themselves so
high against the Chancellor; Sir Chas. Barkley swearing that he
and others had intrigued with her often, which all believe to be
a lie.

16th. In the afternoon I went to White Hall, where I was
surprised with the news of a plot against the King's person and
my Lord Monk's; and that since last night there were about forty
taken up on suspicion; and, amongst others, it was my lot to meet
with Simon Beale, the Trumpeter, who took me and Tom Doling into
the Guard in Scotland Yard, and showed us Major-General Overton.
[One of Oliver Cromwell's Major-Generals: a high Republican.]
Here I heard him deny that he is guilty of any such things: but
that whereas it is said that he is found to have brought many
armes to towne, he says it is only to sell them, as he will prove
by oath.

21st. They told me that this is St. Thomas's, and that by an old
custome, this day the Exchequer men had formerly, and do intend
this night to have a supper; which if I could I promised, to come
to, but did not. To my Lady's, and dined with her: she told me
how dangerously ill the Princesse Royal is: and that this
morning she was said to be dead. But she hears that she hath
married herself to young Jermyn, [Henry Jermyn, Master of the
Horse to the Duke of York.] which is worse than the Duke of
York's marrying the Chancellor's daughter, which is now publicly
owned.

26th. To White Hall by water, and dined with my Lady Sandwich,
who at table did tell me how much fault was laid upon Dr. Frazer
and the rest of the Doctors, for the death of the Princesse. My
Lord, did dine this day with Sir Henry Wright, in order to his
going to sea with the Queen.

31st. In Paul's Church-yard I bought the play of Henry the
Fourth, and so went to the new Theatre and saw it acted; but my
expectation being too great, it did not please me, as otherwise I
believe it would: and my having a book, I believe did spoil it a
little. That being done I went to my Lord's, where I found him
private at cards with my Lord Lauderdale and some persons of
honour.

1660-61. At the end of the last and the beginning of this year,
I do live in one of the houses belonging to the Navy Office, as
one of the principal officers, and have done now about half-a-
year: my family being, myself, my wife, Jane, Will. Hewer, and
Wayneman, my girl's brother. Myself in constant good health, and
in a most handsome and thriving condition. Blessed be Almighty
God for it. As to things of State.--The King settled, and loved
of all. The Duke of York matched to my Lord Chancellor's
daughter, which do not please many. The Queen upon her returne
to France with the Princesse Henrietta. [Youngest daughter of
Charles I., married soon after to Philip Duke of Orleans, only
brother of Louis XIV. She died suddenly in 1670, not without
suspicion of having been poisoned.] The Princesse of Orange
lately dead, and we into new mourning for her. We have been
lately frighted with a great plot, and many taken up on it, and
the fright not quite over. The Parliament, which had done all
this great good to the King, beginning to grow factious, the King
did dissolve it December 29th last, and another likely to be
chosen speedily

No comments: